Leighton Buzzard is a market town in Bedfordshire, England close to Aylesbury, Dunstable and Milton Keynes. Leighton Buzzard is linked to Linslade by a bridge over the river Ouzel. Leighton Buzzard and Linslade were unified in 1965 and are commonly referred to as Leighton Linslade. The town is administered by Central Bedfordshire Council jointly with Linslade as the civil parish of Leighton-Linslade.
It is thought that the name Leighton comes from the Old English word Leahtun meaning a farm in a clearing in the woods. Buzzard comes from Theobald de Busar who was a Prebendary of the Dean of Lincoln as Leighton was situated in his diocese although there are other theories. For much more detail about the history of Leighton Buzzard please visit the informative site Leighton Linslade Past Times.
Leighton Buzzard has excellent transport links as it is close to the M1 motorway and the A5. It is also on the main Birmingham to London railway. The Grand Union Canal runs through the town which today is used more for leisure than transport.
The town has had a number of notable industries but is probably best known for sand quarrying. Leighton Buzzard was twinned with Coulommiers, France in 1958. The twinning was renewed in 1982. It was also twinned with Titisee-Neustadt, Germany in 1991.
The 190 foot spire of All Saints Church can be seen from many parts of the town. This beautiful church was built in 1277 and has been described as the cathedral of South Bedfordshire.
Leighton Buzzard War Memorial in Church Square is thought to be produced from the largest single block of granite ever quarried in the British Isles.
With a direct railway service to London and close proximity to Milton Keynes Leighton Buzzard continues to grow with more accommodation being built each year.